Yeah yeah yeah. We’ve all heard we need to drink more water. But what exactly are the benefits from doing so?
Well, let me tell you … there’s a lot more to it than you probably realize!
Here’s the rundown on why water works for our overall wellness:
- Sleep. Yes, you read that right. Sleep! Being properly hydrated before bed can have a big impact on the quality of rest you get when you go to bed for the night.
- Energy Levels. When you are dehydrated, your body is under stress. Any extra stress on the body has a negative impact on healthy energy levels.
- Skincare. We are fairly aware that we need to hydrate our skin topically to keep it healthy and happy, but did you know that drinking enough water also plays a big part in our skin health and appearance?
- Focus. This one was the most shocking to me when I figured it out. You know that brain fog, mid-afternoon fuzziness of the mind that so many moms experience? Yes, it can definitely be attributed to things like caffeine or sugar crashes or having a crappy sleep the night before (see point #1) BUT it can also be due to being dehydrated. Just like it can affect your energy levels, it can also adversely affect your mental clarity (or lack thereof). This one hit home for me when I was taking a heavy courseload in a business program I had enrolled in. I’d slept well, I’d eaten properly, I’d done my daily yoga… but my mind was just fuzzy. I decided to take a break and realized I’d left my water bottle on the kitchen counter earlier that day and clearly had not had anything to drink for awhile. I knocked it back and then refilled and started another. Within 10 minutes or so I was suddenly alert again and able to focus on the project I was in the midst of. Amazing!
- Digestion & Weight Management. How can your daily water intake help with this? Well, it’s because water can increase satiety and boost your metabolic rate. Some evidence suggests that increasing water intake can promote weight loss by slightly increasing your metabolism, which can increase the number of calories you burn on a daily basis.
There’s loads of benefits to making an effort to drink enough water and stay well hydrated!
How do you know how much to drink? Opinions can vary, but the rule of thumb I was taught (and still go by) is this:
Determine your weight in pounds (lbs). Divide that number in half. The number you end up with is the amount of water you are recommended to drink daily in OUNCES (oz). Most of the water bottles I own are 25oz so for me, I need to knock back three of those each day. Keep in mind, if you are feeling under the weather, have been working out really hard, or if you are somewhere really hot (we get hot summers here!), you will want to increase the amount of H2O you are taking in.
Tips on how to get that water into you? Try any or all of these:
- add a slice of lemon, lime, cucumber or a sprig of mint
- drink your water warm. My great grandma always drank hot water with a tsp of honey and a slice of lemon
- try carbonated water (club soda here in Canada). You might also know this as sparkling water. Just be mindful that it isn’t full of flavours or other additives.
- use a straw! Seriously. A friend of mine really struggles to drink enough water, but if she has a reusable cup that has its own straw… no problem!
We’ve been working on upping our water intake in my free fb group for moms, Level Up Your Mom Life. This online community is a safe, supportive space for moms who are looking to make sustainable improvements in their health and wellbeing. If you’d like to join us, click HERE (please make sure you answer the questions). We look forward to having you join us!
Always from the heart,
Founder, The Real Life Reset System